Sunday, November 25, 2012

How to deal with an Artist

Every now and then, I get a little reality check.  Turns out that not everyone sees art the way I do.

Like a few months ago.  A perfectly nice seeming couple commissioned me to make a painting featuring their friend’s boat.  Terms were agreed upon, reference photo taken & approved.  I went back to my studio and made the painting.  When it was finished I drove to deliver it.  Whereupon, the husband decided to haggle.  His point of view was that it probably only took me an hour or so to paint it - like Bob Ross on PBS and that I was charging way too much for an hour’s work!  He looked for flaws (too much red, not enough blue) and told me that painting was probably just my hobby so I should be happy he wanted it at all.

My point of view is that if the purchaser doesn’t believe that he/she is getting a fantastic bargain at the agreed upon price, they don’t get to take it home. 


Funny thing, when he saw that I was serious his tone changed completely. 


But it still bothers me.

1 comment:

Martha said...

I find it really frustrating that I pay more money to get my hair done at the hairdressers or to stay in a hotel over night then I would expect to sell a print of my artwork for. Can definitely relate to this, so much time, effort and thought goes into what we do!! Standing up for yourself is so important.